Gel Nails at home are Genius!
Gel nail polish at home is totally my kind of beauty product; I do my nails myself 98% of the time. I love the look of painted nails, it makes me feel more refined, but I am often disappointed by regular polish, as it never lasts.
Sally Hanson’s 2 Step gel nail polish is the first gel nail polish I’ve tried – I actually received it as a birthday present last year. Ever since then I have used it non-stop! There is a wide variety of colours available – I’ve got a few in my collection as I really love them.
It’s all about the brush
The brush is a really nice size and glides on easily. This is so important, I find that the brush makes or breaks whether the nail polish will look professional vs messy. I am not particularly amazing at doing nails and I don’t have steady hands so a brush that glides on easily makes the world of difference. The consistency of the polish is really great, it’s as luscious as conventional gel.
How to use it
You don’t need a UV light for this polish which is great as that just seems like a schlep. The gel nails work with a 2-step process:
- Firstly, paint the colour of your choice onto your nails. I normally do 2 coats for full coverage. The only colour I find is very transparent is the Bare Dare. I recommend using a white base underneath this one – it is definately my least favourite of the lot.
- Paint on the top coat to set the gel nails in place and to make them nice and shiny. Voilà!
How long does it last?
I have hardworking hands, I am forever cleaning or cooking. My ideal nail polish must live up to that and honestly, I haven’t found one that truly does but the Sally Hansen ones are, in my opinion, the closest thing to the perfect polish I have found.
I would say they last a full week, if you don’t use your hands as much as I do, then I’m sure it would be longer. It lasts much longer on my toenails, up to a month.
The polish is easy to remove with regular nail varnish remover. I really like that as I feel claustrophobic with regular gel nails (Yes, I am weird like that).
How to make it last longer
These tips might seem obvious but they make the world of difference to the longevity of your gel nails.
- Prep your nails properly and make sure each coat is dry before you apply the next one – This is a game changer!
- Don’t wash dishes with hot water, try luke-warm instead. I find the hotter the water the easier the polish comes off and that is not what you want!
- Don’t pick at it! This goes without saying but fussing over your nails and picking at it will really cut down on how long it lasts.
I think the fact that I have so many already gives away that I love this range of gel nails. Here’s why:
- Comes in a wide range of colours
- Easy to apply – it has a quality brush
- Looks professional
- Doesn’t feel hard on your nails like conventional gel
- Easy to remove
- Lasts longer than conventional polish
The Sally Hansen Gel Nail Polish retails for around R129.95 each in South Africa.